Tuesday 1 November 2016

r - ggplot2 changes estimate of smoothed conditional mean when I change axis limits

I'm trying to smooth points from a scatterplot. There are two groups, and I want to do the smoothing on each of them separately.


In order to illustrate the problem that is happening, I generate data according to


set.seed(400)
x=seq(0,2,0.01)
Data=data.frame(x=rep(x,2),y=c(rnorm(5*x,0,0.05),rnorm(5*x+0.5,0,0.05)),z=c(rep("1",length(x)),rep("2",length(x))))

Here, z represents the groups.


If I plot the smoothed curves using


ggplot(Data, aes(x,y)) + geom_smooth(aes(color=z,linetype=z),method="gam",size=2,se=FALSE)+scale_y_continuous(limits=c(-0.01,0.01))

I get


enter image description here


However, if I change the y axis limits, I get a different result:


ggplot(Data, aes(x,y)) + geom_smooth(aes(color=z,linetype=z),method="gam",size=2,se=FALSE)+scale_y_continuous(limits=c(-0.005,0.005))

enter image description here


In other words: the only thing I've changed are the y-axis limits, however I get different regression estimates.


Any ideas of why this happens and how I can correct it?


Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

c++ - Does curly brackets matter for empty constructor?

Those brackets declare an empty, inline constructor. In that case, with them, the constructor does exist, it merely does nothing more than t...