Monday 28 November 2016

python - Get statistics for each group (such as count, mean, etc) using pandas GroupBy?



I have a data frame df and I use several columns from it to groupby:



df['col1','col2','col3','col4'].groupby(['col1','col2']).mean()



In the above way I almost get the table (data frame) that I need. What is missing is an additional column that contains number of rows in each group. In other words, I have mean but I also would like to know how many number were used to get these means. For example in the first group there are 8 values and in the second one 10 and so on.



In short: How do I get group-wise statistics for a dataframe?


Answer



On groupby object, the agg function can take a list to apply several aggregation methods at once. This should give you the result you need:



df[['col1', 'col2', 'col3', 'col4']].groupby(['col1', 'col2']).agg(['mean', 'count'])

No comments:

Post a Comment

c++ - Does curly brackets matter for empty constructor?

Those brackets declare an empty, inline constructor. In that case, with them, the constructor does exist, it merely does nothing more than t...