Sunday 25 September 2016

php - MySQL Chinese pinyin encoding issue

Answer


Answer




I have a MySQL database set to utf8. My charset/collation variables are:




Variable_name | Value



character_set_client | utf8




character_set_connection | utf8



character_set_database | utf8



character_set_filesystem | binary



character_set_results | utf8



character_set_server | latin1




character_set_system | utf8



collation_connection | utf8_general_ci



collation_database | utf8_general_ci



collation_server | latin1_swedish_ci





I have a web page that displays Chinese characters and Pinyin from our MySQL DB. The Chinese characters display fine, but the Pinyin is garbled. For instance,



displays: Nánjīng
correct: Nánjīng



Now, I check page encoding and it is set to UTF8. I echoed out Nánjīng in PHP and it displayed fine. I checked out the data in command line and it is correct in the database. However, whenever it is coming through a query, it garbles the pinyin, but not the Chinese characters. Anyone know why this could be happening?


Answer



I figured it out. It was a collating issue. I modified the cnf to set the collation_server variable to utf8_general_ci, then reimported my data and it works fine... I don't know why I didn't think of that earlier.


No comments:

Post a Comment

c++ - Does curly brackets matter for empty constructor?

Those brackets declare an empty, inline constructor. In that case, with them, the constructor does exist, it merely does nothing more than t...