Friday 31 March 2017

python - How do I regex match with grouping with unknown number of groups



I want to do a regex match (in Python) on the output log of a program. The log contains some lines that look like this:




... 
VALUE 100 234 568 9233 119
...
VALUE 101 124 9223 4329 1559
...


I would like to capture the list of numbers that occurs after the first incidence of the line that starts with VALUE. i.e., I want it to return ('100','234','568','9233','119'). The problem is that I do not know in advance how many numbers there will be.




I tried to use this as a regex:



VALUE (?:(\d+)\s)+


This matches the line, but it only captures the last value, so I just get ('119',).


Answer



What you're looking for is a parser, instead of a regular expression match. In your case, I would consider using a very simple parser, split():



s = "VALUE 100 234 568 9233 119"

a = s.split()
if a[0] == "VALUE":
print [int(x) for x in a[1:]]


You can use a regular expression to see whether your input line matches your expected format (using the regex in your question), then you can run the above code without having to check for "VALUE" and knowing that the int(x) conversion will always succeed since you've already confirmed that the following character groups are all digits.


No comments:

Post a Comment

c++ - Does curly brackets matter for empty constructor?

Those brackets declare an empty, inline constructor. In that case, with them, the constructor does exist, it merely does nothing more than t...