Monday 17 October 2016

How do I escape a single quote in SQL Server?



I'm trying to insert some text data into a table in SQL Server 9.



The text includes a single quote(').




How do I escape that?



I tried using two single quotes, but it threw me some errors.



eg. insert into my_table values('hi, my name''s tim.');


Answer



Single quotes are escaped by doubling them up, just as you've shown us in your example. The following SQL illustrates this functionality. I tested it on SQL Server 2008:



DECLARE @my_table TABLE (

[value] VARCHAR(200)
)

INSERT INTO @my_table VALUES ('hi, my name''s tim.')

SELECT * FROM @my_table


Results




value
==================
hi, my name's tim.

No comments:

Post a Comment

c++ - Does curly brackets matter for empty constructor?

Those brackets declare an empty, inline constructor. In that case, with them, the constructor does exist, it merely does nothing more than t...