Wednesday 22 June 2016

PHP mail() works from command line but not apache



I'm trying to figure out why the mail function in PHP fails when called via web browser (i.e. apache), but I can run the same script from the command line using





php -f mailtest.php




This is one of my client's Fedora servers, so I don't grok it completely, but I do have root access should I need to change anything.



from php.ini:




sendmail_path = /usr/sbin/sendmail -t -i





Not sure if this could matter, but /usr/sbin/sendmail is a symlink to /etc/alternatives/mta, which is a symlink back to /usr/sbin/sendmail.sendmail. FWIW the apache user does have permission to run sendmail (tested sendmail directly from the command line).



OS: Fedora Core 7 Linux (kernel 2.6.23.17)  
Apache: 2.2.8
PHP: 5.2.6


Any help here will be greatly appreciated!


Answer




I found the problem. SELinux was preventing apache from being able to use sendmail. To diagnose, I used



$ sestatus -b | grep sendmail  
httpd_can_sendmail off


Then to actually fix the problem:



$ restorecon /usr/sbin/sendmail
$ setsebool -P httpd_can_sendmail 1



Read more about it here.


No comments:

Post a Comment

c++ - Does curly brackets matter for empty constructor?

Those brackets declare an empty, inline constructor. In that case, with them, the constructor does exist, it merely does nothing more than t...