Tuesday 8 March 2016

vba - Excel Worksheet_SelectionChange event not firing at all? (on both Office 2013 & 2016)



I've been having a heck of a time accomplishing what I thought would be an incredibly simple test. All I am trying to achieve is to pop up a MsgBox when a user selects a new cell or changes the contents of a cell.




I've been at this for about 6 hours and so far have zero success! I have identical behavior with Office 2016 (Windows 10) and with Office 2013 (Windows 7).



Here are my method(s):




  1. Create a new macro-enabled workbook.

  2. Record a new macro in the workbook. Stop the recording. Open VBA.

  3. Open the code for "Module 1" and replace the undesired code with the code below. Save the file.

  4. File -> Options -> Trust Center -> Trust Center Settings -> Macro Settings -> "Trust access to the VBA project object model" is selected. Save the file.


  5. I also have ensured Application.EnableEvents = True

  6. I am expecting to be able to click on various cells, or edit cells, and received a MsgBox whenever the event occurs.



Here is my code:



Option Explicit

Private Sub Workbook_SheetChange(ByVal Sh As Object, ByVal Target As Range)
MsgBox "changed!"

End

Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)
MsgBox "selected!"
End Sub

Public Sub Just_In_Case()
Application.EnableEvents = True
End Sub



What am I missing? Is there a security setting preventing this action event? I have the same behavior online at work as I do offline at home.



Thank you in advance for your help! :)



PS Here is the screenshot of my VBA environment, if relevant: https://i.stack.imgur.com/yXkMK.png


Answer



That Workbook_SheetChange code needs to be in the ThisWorkbook code module, not in a regular module.



EDIT: and the Worksheet_SelectionChange goes in the Worksheet code module




http://www.cpearson.com/excel/events.aspx


No comments:

Post a Comment

c++ - Does curly brackets matter for empty constructor?

Those brackets declare an empty, inline constructor. In that case, with them, the constructor does exist, it merely does nothing more than t...